Two Weeks of Camp


I just finished week 2 of summer camp at Sitar and I just wanted to do a little reflecting.  

My job break down is in the mornings I am the teacher assistant for the Pre-K and Kindergarten classes.  There are two lead teachers whose classrooms I switch back and forth from. Then, in the afternoon, I’m the sole lead teacher for the Kindergarten class.  In my class, we combine STEAM (science, technology, art, math) and theatre. The first two weeks we focused on the solar system.

My first day of camp was overwhelming to say the least.  The day started off ok. We all met together in the theatre and had a “welcome to camp” meeting.  Then we divided up and went to our separate classrooms. Things were a little chaotic but it was still fairly controlled.  I just figured it was because it was the first day of camp and everyone was just getting used to camp.

Then, it was my turn.  The students came back in to the classroom and I introduced myself again and went over some classroom expectations.  We then sat in a circle and I tried to do a name game with them but several students kept shouting out and talking while I was talking.  I kept my cool and we pushed through and finished the game.

After that, it was time to go outside.  So we went to recess and nothing crazy happened.  I hoped that when we got back inside we would have all our “wiggles” out and be ready to continue with the lesson.  Suffice it to say, I was incorrect.

It was like a switch had flipped.  Now everyone was talking. They would talk over each other and myself.  No one was in their spots. It was chaos. As I write this I honestly can’t remember what we did for the rest of the afternoon because I blocked it out of my memory.  I do remember standing there, looking at the chaos and thinking “I can’t do this. I’m going to have to quit.” And I was very close to doing so.

Thankfully, my wonderful supervisor talked to me after class and I settled down.  I left feeling much better. Each day since then has gotten better. We’ve changed our routine several times in order to find the best fit and I think we’ve finally found it.  In class, we’ve done different art projects and went on a field trip to The Air and Space Museum.

Last week was a little rough because I was out for two days because of my foot.  So when I went back on Thursday, we had to do a little review on classroom expectations, but all in all, it was still much better then that first day.  ( I even put together a telescope on Friday!)

Just like with any jobs, there are good days and bad days but I am feeling more comfortable with the flow of camp.  I am very optimistic about it and I think when it’s all said and done, it will be a great experience. For the next two weeks we will be discussing Dr. Seuss’s “The Lorax” and the environment.   We will also incorporate other Seuss stories. The older students in the camp are putting on “Seussical” the musical at the end of the camp so I want to try and tie in some of our curriculum.

I’ll keep you posted on how the next few weeks go!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s